Error 953 or 954 NVRAMPrinter is Posting a 953 or 954 Service NVRAM Failure Message
To clear an NVRAM error message:
- Turn the printer off.
- Leave it powered off for at least a minute to give it a chance to reset, then power it back on.
- If that clears the error, continue using the printer but keep an eye on it for the next day or two to see if the error returns. If the error does not return, the printer should be fine.
- If the NVRAM error does return, you can try resetting the printer's NVRAM as follows:
- Turn the printer off.
- Now press and hold down the right Menu arrow button (>), the Select button, and the Go button at the same time.
- While continuing to hold all three of these buttons down, turn on the printer.
- Keep holding down the buttons until the printer displays Clearing NVRAM or Restoring Factory Defaults, indicating that the printer is performing an NVRAM clear. You can release the buttons at this point. WARNING! Do not power off the printer during this process.
When the printer has finished the NVRAM clear, it should return to the Ready mode.
- If the printer has not gone back to Ready after fifteen minutes, turn off the printer and then turn it back on again as you normally would.
- If these steps do not clear the NVRAM error, there may be an issue with an installed option on the printer. Electrical options (like flash memory, network cards, code SIMMS, and additional RAM memory) are the most likely causes. To see if an installed option is causing the error:
- Turn off the power and remove any options that have been installed. (For information on removing memory or code SIMMs
- If the NVRAM error continues, the printer will probably need service.
- If the NVRAM error is gone after you have removed all of the options, power off the printer again.
- Reinstall the options one by one. Power on the printer each time to see if the NVRAM error returns.
- If the NVRAM error returns as soon as you reinstall an option, that option may be causing the error.
- Remove that option.
- Turn off the printer and reinstall all remaining options (if any). If the NVRAM error appears only when that one particular option is installed, that option may be defective or incompatible with the printer.
- If you can reinstall all of the options and the NVRAM error is gone, an option may have been loose and simply needed to be reseated. Again, keep an eye on the printer for the next day or two to see if the error returns. If not, the printer should be fine.